Tuesday 7 June 2016

I Grieve



I starved.  I purged.

I watched as my flesh slowly disappeared.
I could feel each bone become sharper,
Each hollow grow deeper. 
Like an outside observer,
I examined every curve, every angle, of every bone.
I poked curiously and ran my finger along the veins that popped through my skin.
I starved to slowly fade away.
I was a girl watching her body disappear.

I sobbed and I shivered.
And clung to my boyfriend's chest.
Already I was grieving the loss of those I love.
I had a dream that I fell and slowly passed into death.
I considered writing letters to let my loved ones know,
Just how much they meant to me.
There was a whisper in my soul,
That I had finally, somehow, starved enough.

To starve so much that you achieve the end.
You have successfully perfected anorexia.
You die.  
You are now just a corpse,
Free from a prison that had become your cocoon.

Death did not scare me.
I was tired.  
A prisoner for 21 long years.
I battled and I fought,
And then I just gave in.
Perhaps my fate was to love 
And then to say goodbye. 

I wonder why I let them save me.
Perhaps I was too weak to fight.
Perhaps I truly was afraid to die.
Now I am full of fluid and nutrients.
The heaviness feels surreal.
I am left to grieve again..
I grieve the thing that kept me safe,
Far from hurt and numb to pain.

Today I grieve Anorexia.
I let the tears fall.
They fall and they fall.
It is a loss.
A loss many can not understand.
But that does not make this sadness any less.

I pray to a God much greater than this disease.
That I may one day be free
And anorexia will lie silent in its grave.
And I will grieve anorexia no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment