Wednesday 8 June 2016

Refeeding Syndrome

I've been on the inpatient unit for 6 days now.  Holy hell, where has the time gone.  I endured the hideous "refeeding syndrome" in which your body goes into shock because it is now receiving energy from food and is no longer trapped in a self imposed concentration camp.  My body was in a catabolic state, it ate away my muscle and fat  to get energy to perform its vital functions, like send glucose to my brain. 

When I suddenly started eating my dietitian-prescribed meals, my body suddenly shifted to an anabolic state, using food as a source of energy. Not surprisingly, body processes became confused, causing fluid and electrolyte imbalances and vitamin deficiencies. Serious complications can occur with deficiencies in potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, fluid, and thiamine. Without medical supervision during refeeding, a person can experience heart problems, breathing problems, impaired mental status, insulin resistance, and bone problems. 

To negate these potential consequences, food and fluids are introduced slowly and fluids in small quantities. Most patients are given an IV for several days to supply the needed vitamins that are depleted during the confusion of the refeeding. 

Refeeding edema is common, as the body adjusts to shifting fluids and electrolytes. Hello jello body, a thick layer of fluid covers your feet, legs, and tummy and you feel like you've gained twenty pounds in two bloody days. BloggerImage 
It's scary, you want to run away, but then you worry that you will fuck up your body even more than it already is...plus, you don't feel like running anywhere with swollen old lady feet and jello legs. 

Today I am rejoicing, I can no longer occupy my time looking at the weird indents on my mushy legs. The edema has subsided. All this peeing (which is super inconvenient by the way when you have to get the nurses to unlock the bathroom door everytime), replenishing my protein stores with food and dragging an IV pole around, while popping vitamins has worked its magic. I can kinda smile today.  

Although I'm bummed that I still can't leave the unit, because apparently my weight is back down with the retreat of the fluid, I'm feeling more comfortable, and my brain feels more clear. All rewards of persevering through the discomfort.  

Plus, I'm hugging my little bear. ☺️ BloggerImage


No comments:

Post a Comment