Wednesday 20 July 2016

Imagine.

BloggerImage
www.notable-quotes.com

I observe myself,
From above and not from within. 
I'm gazing at the girl inhabiting my body. 
She wrings her fingers, 
She taps her feet,
And grinds her teeth. 
I can see the anxiety 
Overtaking her body. 

I tell her that it's going to be okay. 
She has gained weight,
But she is still thin.
She is still the same person,
Only with a healthier body,
One that is not in danger of falling apart. 

Anorexia has been inhabiting 
my mind for too long.
I can not trust her perception,
For what I see through anorexia's lens, 
is false. 

Logically my weight is still low. 
But to anorexia, 
Logic means nothing. 
Anorexia thrives on misperceptions and lies. 
She warps all mirrors,
And tricks her victims into believing 
That they are worthless if they aren't 
On a fast decline towards death.

I watch myself from above.
I see my foot tapping more slowly,
My breathing eases into regularity,
As I begin to see the truth. 
Listening to anorexia these past few days
Has only brought me pain. 

I have forgotten that 
I am so much more
than a number on the scale 
or the size of my clothing. 
I was so caught up in grieving her,
That I forgot to live. 
Anorexia thrives in darkness.
She hates the white glow of hope. 
She fears all things that diminish her ability to survive. 

Anorexia is greedy,
She likes to have me all to herself. 
She wants me to wander alone,
Irritated by the chatter of people around me.
She loves it when I avoid eye contact,
She thrives on a mind that plots sneaky ways to self destruct. 

Anorexia loves it when I'm held so captive,
That I begin to obey commands. 
Restrict.
Take diet pills. 
Take laxatives.
Go up and down those ugly hospital stairs twenty times. 

Today, I can distinguish anorexia from reality. 
Today I am defiantly arguing anorexia's insults. 
Today I took the elevator,
And ignored the desire to retreat within myself. 
I did not crawl into my cocoon,
Instead I stepped outside.
I allowed myself to breathe the air,
To nourish my body,
To believe that I am worthy to dance in the rain.

I am so much more than a disease.
I am so much braver than anorexia ever could be. 
Imagine how much better life could be if I left anorexia behind, 
What could happen if I ignored her ugly cries of desperation,
And decided to live.
Imagine how it would be to be free. 
Imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment